IBM Colleagues, Drs Marco Mondi and Yuting Zhao, will come Aberdeen University and work with the local team on K-Drive project for 2 weeks. Dr Mondi will do his secondments with a special focus on WP5&6. Dr Zhao will work with Dr Honghan Wu on Stream Semantic Querying and also start to take over the (technical) project management for the rest project period.
K-Drive coordinator, Dr Jeff Pan, is doing secondment in IBM Italy from 4 June to 17 June, 2015. This secondment will involve the following activities.
- Supervising the work in deliverables:
D5.2 A dynamic query generator: a PU Prototype
D5.3 A user query generator: an RE Prototype
D6.3 Stream querying for private data: a PU Report
- Dissemination activities in DL workshop 2015
- Knowledge transfer activities in IBM Italy
- Project management and looking into future collaboration
Panos and Boris from iSOCO/ESI are doing secondments in Aberdeen uni from 31 May to 12 June, 2015. The secondment work will involve:
- deliverables of which the due dates are the end of July:
D7.1 User model definition: a PU Specification (M30, UNIABDN)
D7.2 Interactive UI design: a PU Specification (M36, ISOCO)
- k-drive book revision
- discussing a proposal for FTI H2020
- knowledge transfer activities
K-Drive will have a two-day workshop in Modena, Italy at 7th-8th, May 2015. The workshop will discuss:
– K-Drive project: management, work package implementation and scientific researches;
– K-Drive book: status update, chapter discussion, timeline revision and next action points;
– Future collaboration opportunities: proposal ideas, research topics and knowledge transfer projects.
From this week, Dr. Jeff Z. Pan is doing his secondment in ESI (iSOCO). The secondment will last two weeks and will consist of the following activities:
– Collaborative Research Activities on the work package of Interactive Intelligent User Interface
– Project Meeting Arrangement: planing the upcoming K-Drive project meeting
– Other project management activities: iSOCO – ESI transition
– Knowledge Transfer Activities
K-Drive coordinator, Dr Jeff Z. Pan, is doing his secondment in IBM Italy. The research topics include: 1) user query generation and 3) stream querying techniques for private data. In addition to research activities, Dr Pan will also supervise the ESR researcher who is secondeed from UNIABDN to IBM Italy. Other activities include project management, knowledge transfer and etc.
Dr. Jeff Z. Pan will start his secondment in Expert System Iberia from 23rd Jan. 2015 to 6th Feb. 2015. In this secondment, Jeff will mainly work on the following two topics:
- The guidance (T9.1 Task identification and definition)
- Project management (plans and arrangements of secondment implementation)
As usual, he will also contribute on activities of knowledge transfer and dissemination during this secondment.
The workshop will take place at University of Aberdeen, 11.00-16.00, Monday 12th January, 2015.
By attending, you can learn about existing applications of Linked Data as well as applications of recent research in the area from various organisations, industry professionals and academics in and around Scotland.
The workshop is free and open to anyone, to register and find out more please go to
Performing Named Entity Resolution in Enterprise Scenarios – Experiences, Lessons Learned and Methodological Guidelines
Speaker: Dr. Panos Alexopoulo
Abstract: Named Entity Resolution (NER) is an information extraction task that involves detecting mentions of named entities (e.g. people, organisations or locations) within texts and mapping them to their corresponding entities in a given knowledge source. Systems and frameworks for performing NER have been developed both by the academia and the industry with different features and capabilities. The goal of this presentation is to describe our experiences from implementing NER solutions in a number of real-world application scenarios and share some key lessons we learned with respect to their applicability and effectiveness. Moreover, we shall describe a metric-based methodological framework that allowed us to understand and optimize the performance of our NER solution in each of these scenarios.
Time: 14:00-15:00, 3rd Dec. 2014 Venue: Meston 2
Dr. Panos Alexopoulos gave a talk to SWE(Semantic Web Engineering) students about ontology authoring in industry. The talk gave the experiences and lessons learnt from various research and commercial projects about ontology authoring.